Tuesday, June 11, 2013

It's Hashimotos Yo!



Hashimoto's thyroiditis or chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis is an autoimmune disease in which the thyroid gland is attacked by a variety of cell- and antibody-mediated immune processes. Hashimoto's thyroiditis is an autoimmune disease, a disorder in which the immune system turns against the body's own tissues. It was the first disease to be recognized as an autoimmune disease


So this is what I have. No cure.  Just deal with it. That is pretty much the answer. My Hashi's manifests in many irritating ways.

-hypothyroidism
-weight gain ( trouble losing weight)
-cold intolerance
-chronic fatigue
-high cholesterol for my age
-muscle weakness
- muscle cramping
-joint stiffness
-skin issues (dermatitis, rashes, hives)
-food allergies
- slow heart rate
-paleness
-puffy eyes, dark circles
-sore throats
-infertility

Yep the last one is the real kicker. The other's are annoying, the last one is heart-breaking. Not to mention if I do become pregnant my chance for miscarriage are higher.  Many Hashi's women have very successful pregnancies, I just am praying I am one of them. Sigh. I am working with my doctors to get Hashi's under control and my thyroid gland some help.  So far it is moving in the right direction.  But honestly some days I am just ticked off I have to deal with it.  I will take meds everyday for the rest of my life. I have to be monitored every 6-8 weeks at this point.  And if I have a daughter she too will most likely have the same disease as it passes down maternally to female off-spring. ( As mine did). 

Just feeling down about it today :(

2 comments:

  1. Hi. I came across your blog from a post on The Bump. I have Hashimoto's as well, diagnosed last November. I hadn't been getting pregnant (I am 36), so we ran some tests... Anyway, my gyn put me on 25mcg of levothroxine, and I got pregnant in May. My doctor increased the dosage to 50mcg, which I am still taking. Though, I lost the pregnancy earlier this month (June).

    It's not a horrible disease to have, and you can use the medication (or a change in diet, if you want to go that route) to help regulate it. I am 98% certain that taking the medication is what enabled me to get pregnant! Though I didn't think it would work when the doctor suggested that as my problem! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sara- I actually through diet changes and increased meds got pregnant. I had to get my TSH levels close to 1. Still not sure if this pregnancy is viable as I have had complications. As you know pregnancies with hashimotos have a much higher misscarriage rate. Thanks for your input and Good luck!

    ReplyDelete